Italy: Far-right demonstrators clash with police at banned protest in Macerata
Photo Credit: Tiziana Fabi

Italy: Far-right demonstrators clash with police at banned protest in Macerata

Police clashed with extreme-right protesters on Thursday evening in the central Italian town of Macerata, where tension is currently high following a shooting attack by a far-right sympathizer who targeted dark-skinned foreigners. The suspect has said he chose to carry out the attack after hearing that a local 18-year-old woman’s dismembered body had been found by police, and that a Nigerian man had been arrested in connection with her death.

Around 40 people reportedly participated in the unauthorized protest on Thursday evening, which was organized by the extreme-right Forza Nuova party. Counter-demonstrators chanted slogans including "we are all anti-fascists."

When the Forza Nuova supporters tried to enter the town’s central square, they clashed with riot police, with some officers hitting protesters with truncheons, Rai News reported. Twelve activists were taken to the police station, and could face charges for violating the police order that had banned the protest.

Roberto Fiore, who leads the Forza Nuova party, had advertised the demonstration with a poster saying “people die from immigration." Fiore further said he did not support the actions of suspected shooter Luca Traini, but Il Secolo XIX cited him as saying the shooter was “also a victim in this situation."


Read Full Article